Congregational minister and abolitionist Beriah Green (1795-1874) became actively involved in antislavery agitation during his tenure as professor of sacred literature at Western Reserve College (1830-33). He presided at the organization of the American Anti-Slavery Society in Philadelphia in December 1833 and was president (1833-43) of the racially integrated manual-labor school, Oneida Institute, near Whitesboro, New York. A founding member of the Liberty party, Green held back from the Free Soil fusion of 1848, fearing a dilution of antislavery principles. In 1843, he headed a secession from the Whitesboro Presbyterian Church to serve as pastor of the abolitionist Congregational Church in Whitesboro until 1867. Beriah Green, Sermons and Discourses with Brief Biographical Hints (New York, 1860), 165-67, 231-41; Richard H. Sewell, Ballots for Freedom: Antislavery Politics in the United States, 1837-1860 (New York, 1976), 98n, 107; Garrison and Garrison, Garrison Life, 3:211, NCAB, 2:326; DAB, 7:539-40.